Tuesday, March 17, 2009

The Log, the Hill, & Eagle Wings





At left, the snowy part of the steep hill.

At right, the log I carried to the top. It was still there the following year when this photo was taken.

At mile 38, I was sitting by a giant pine tree catching my breath, resting my legs, and preparing mentally for the 2 mile climb up the steepest part of the 50 mile course.

I was praying silently and feeling gratitude for my health and strength when a thought came into my awareness.

It was more like a spirited directive I have learned to recognize and follow.

The words pierced my soul and said,

“You are to find a log and carry it with you up the hill.”

My ipod shuffle was set to “The Passion of the Christ” soundtrack and up the hill I climbed.

“Never mind looking for the log, the log will find you,” came the words again giving me comfort and anticipation.

Soon the log found me. In the middle of the trail about four feet in length and curved just right so it would fit on my back and shoulders.

I found strength beyond my own as I carried the log up the steep hill. I passed many along the way who looked at me like I was some crazed lunatic.

One man must have felt something as he asked, “Divine intervention?”

I believe it was divine as my eyes filled with tears as I felt the weight of the log. My arms grew weary and my hands felt thousands of pins and needles from the strain on my nerves.

The steep two-mile climb up the hill was sacred time with Christ. As if in waking vision, I was given a small taste of the bitter cup He drank for us all when He suffered in Gethsemane and carried His own cross up the hill to Calvary. I saw as if I was there to witness what took place on that dreadful day.

A flood of emotions moved through me and I wept out loud.

A power overcame me and I climbed with great determination stepping over downed trees and over rocks to reach the peak called Windy Pass where there was grand view of the mountains in all directions.

Hearing the still small voice again saying,

“Throw down the log. No need to suffer anymore for I have suffered for you.”

There at the top of Windy Pass, legs weary and lungs burning from the climb, tears continued to flow but I felt light like the feathers of eagle’s wings.

Inspired, I remembered the promise that helped me years earlier.

They who wait upon the Lord shall be renewed in strength, they shall mount up with wings of eagles, they shall run and not be weary, and walk and not faint.

And I began to soar!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for spending the time it took to recapture the energy of this day. I too found wings and soared with you because of your gift with words and with the sharing of spirit.
May love fill you as you fill others with your words and deeds.
((((((((((Troy))))))))))

Anonymous said...

A Shaking feathered friend.....

http://birdloversonly.blogspot.com/2007/09/may-i-have-this-dance.html